A bowling alley, built in 1975, was in the process of tear down this July when the contractor found asbestos in the building. The City Manager of Alamogordo, New Mexico, Maggie Paluch, said, “As a city staff, we’re working diligently to fix the problem as soon as possible.” It was also discovered that wood from the bowling alley was sold to the public via Facebook before finding the asbestos contamination.
Asbestos exposure increases the risk for mesothelioma, lung cancer, asbestosis, and other lung disorders. Any of these can decrease quality of life, but mesothelioma is a deadly cancer. Asbestos is made of tiny fibers that can lodge in the lungs. While any exposure can prove fatal according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), mesothelioma is generally contracted from long periods of exposure.
According to Paluch, abatement will start soon since the safety of citizens is the top priority for the city.